Dining with Dad

My dad likes to visit me in Manhattan, especially if I tell him I am about to be in a new play. He thinks off Broadway is as good as making it in the big time. To me, of course, it is. It is hard enough to get parts what with all the competition. Do you have any idea how many star struck wanna-bes come to the city to fulfill their dreams? I mean thousands. The area is populated with disappointed faces and people who aren’t yet treading the boards. This makes auditions a stressful time. Because I have been lucky enough to be selected for multiple plays, I often get a second chance when trying out. Recently I got a great starring role and my dad was eager to see one of the rehearsals.

He arrived in the evening and I picked him up at the airport with great excitement. I drove him around the area where I live which isn’t far from the well-known theater district. He could see the marquees, one after the other. Then there was Broadway, the Great White Way. I was enthralled just showing him my new stomping ground. He made me realize how fortunate I am to be pursuing my goals. I intend to stay put until I have experienced it all. I don’t know how far my skills will take me, but I intend to try.

I took my dad to my apartment and set him up in the spare room. We got up early to walk the city for amusement and in the early evening, I had a two-hour rehearsal. He was anxious to attend. I knew he wouldn’t critique me as he had always been supportive and loves everything I do. This would be no exception. I wanted to show off that I had such a big part and when I saw him in the audience, sitting alone among the empty seats, I excelled. I gave it everything I had. I was exhausted at the end of rehearsal and starving as well. My dad wanted to take me out for a nice mean so I mustered up the energy. The food and conversation restored my flagging self. Then it was time to retire. I go to bed early when in rehearsal and he agreed. He would watch a TV movie or read a book. First he wanted to go for a walk and he leaned over me (I was still seated) to say goodbye. As he reached to hug me, his new automatic watch got caught in my hair. It pulled a bit and needed to be disentangled. I laughed to ease the moment and proceeded to gather my things to go home.

I remember that automatic watch in stainless-steel that my mother gave him for his birthday five years ago. He never takes it off and doesn’t need to wind it. It is a no-brainer to put it on every morning. He wears no other jewelry other than his wedding ring. He’s a simple guy.